Monday, August 8, 2011

Week 2 Training Re-cap

My goal for the week was to complete all my scheduled runs. Well, I missed three workouts. This was not a good training week Rather than sitting and dwelling, just going to push through this upcoming week and improve.

Monday-4.25 mile run
This was a pretty good run. I ran with my boyfriend and we had to cut the run short because of rain. He runs at a much faster pace than I do, and I was able to keep up right until the end where my short little legs gave up. I hope I can run with him at least two more times before I head back up to Baltimore to keep building up my endurance.

Tuesday- No run
I decided to stay in and clean the house today. The real reason for missing this run was because right after work I went to the salon and did my hair. I really didn't want to mess up my hair with a run. Yay for being a girly girl.

Wednesday- No run
My aunt, uncle and cousins were in town, so rather than doing a run I went to Dinner and spent time with them. Definitely well worth skipping a run.

Thursday- Fun Interval Training- 55 minute run/walk
I decided to experiment with my run today. I still completed a 55 minute run/walk but I wanted to test my options in run/walking the races and keeping below a 10 minute per mile pace. I also embedded an ab workout between intervals to build core strength.

Interval 1- 5 min warm up at 3.8 mph followed by 2 minutes running at a 6.4 pace and 1 minute walking at a 3.8 pace. I repeated the 2/1 pattern once more. The average pace in the 11 minutes was 4.7 mph and I completed 0.87 miles. I did 40 crunches.

Interval 2- 1 minute walk at 3.8 mph pace followed by 2 minute walk at 6.4 mph pace. Repeated this 3 times. I averaged a 5.5 mph pace for 10 minutes and completed 0.90 miles. I took a 30 second water break and completed 20 leg lifts.

Interval 3- 1 minute walk at 3.8 mph pace followed by a 3 minute run at 6.5 mph pace, then a 1 minute walk at 3.9 mph pace followed by a 3 minute run at 6.5 mph pace and a 2 minute walk at 3.8 mph pace. In 10 minutes I averaged a 5.2 mph pace and completed 0.86 miles. Completed 40 sit-ups.

Interval 4- 1 minute walk at 3.8 mph followed by a 3 minute run at 6.5 mph, then a 30 second walk at 3.9 mph pace, followed by a 3 minute run at 6.5 mph pace, then a 30 second walk at 3.9 mph pace, followed by a 2 minute run at 6.5 mph pace. For ten minutes I averaged 5.8 mph and completed 0.97 miles. I took a 30 second water break and completed 20 leg lifts

Interval 5- 5 minute walk at 3.8 mph followed by a 5 minute run at 6 mph. For 10 minutes I averaged a 4.8 mph pace and completed 0.80 miles. I completed 40 sit-ups.

Interval 6- Cool down. 5 minute walk at 3.5 mph and completed 0.30 miles. I completed 20 leg lifts.

In total, I completed 55 minutes and 4.7 miles. I did 60 leg lifts and 120 crunches.

Friday- In Disney
I went to Orlando with the boyfriend and spent the afternoon walking around Epcot and Magic Kingdom.

Saturday-No Run

We were rained out on Saturday= no run.

Sunday- 4.5 mile run

Nothing spectacular about this run. I actually felt pretty bad during the last half of the run. Really have to start improving my runs.

I'm considering following Jeff Galloway's approach to run/walking marathons in completing my training. I want to average between a 9 and 10 minute per mile pace for both races. According to his website, I should be running 4 minutes and walking 1 minute. I'm going to try this technique on my longer runs on Saturdays and Sundays and possibly during my mid week training. I'll let you know how it goes.

Goal for next week: Complete all my scheduled runs.

No comments:

Post a Comment