Thursday, October 13, 2011

2 days until the Baltimore Half!

Wow, time does fly! I'm mid-way through the semester (which means I'm closer to moving down to Naples) and the Half- Marathon is only two days away! I have been beyond good on sticking to my training plan. Even though its not recommended, I have extended some of my planned workouts because (a) I felt really good and didn't want to stop and/or (b) it was so pretty outside that it would be dumb not to run as long as possible.

The last two weeks have been great. I completed another 5k and accomplished a PR during that 5k. I've also gotten into the swing of yoga, and I'm starting to really love it. In addition, school and work has been pretty stellar. As some of you may already know, law school classes don't have mid-terms or traditional assignments due throughout the semester. Instead, most courses has ONE final three-hour exam. Next Tuesday I'll be done with one of my classes, Advanced Legal Research, once I submit my final research paper. Other than that, I've been working on my paper for Sexual Orientation and the Law. The topic I chose was the treatment of LGBT individuals in the Criminal Justice System and in prison. I've also been consistent in reading and outlining for my exam courses.

As with work, I'm pretty lucky that I can usually work from home. I work in developing lesson plans for legal-based lessons taught at the Jail. I used to teach the lessons on a weekly basis, but now I work primarily in drafting the lessons. I really love working with youths in the Baltimore City Detention Center and at-risk youth. The work is rewarding and is a great re-cap of Constitutional Law and Criminal Law.

Lessons I've Learned about Law School and Training
  1. Getting some type of physical activity every single day is a necessity. Sitting 10 to 12 hours a day in the library, home, meetings and in class gets old quick. 
  2. There will be days where you don't want to run. On those days, I usually increase the length of time that I'm working out and I'll walk rather than run and I make sure to get in a yoga or spinning class.
  3. Law School and classes have been more enjoyable since I started running everyday. I find it easier to focus and to study for longer periods of time.
  4. Not having time is not an excuse. Rather than complain about my schedule, every Sunday night I prepare my weekly schedule with classes, yoga classes, work, studying and running. (see below). By mapping out my week it becomes a no brainer.
  5. Supportive family and friends are the most valuable resource during law school and training. I have the most amazing parents and friends any person could ever ask for. My dad has signed me up (and paid) for 5ks and he wakes up at the crack of dawn to take me to the race and watch me. Mom makes sure that I'm eating correctly and always supports me. Both of my parents are driving into Baltimore for the Half Marathon. I'm excited to have them spend the night in Baltimore and go out on Friday night to dinner. As for law school, my parents pick me up almost every weekend to go and spend time in Frederick. Its nice to get out of the city and wind-down a little bit. My friends in law school are great because they're all less OCD than I am, so they keep me sane. I am truly blessed to have amazing parents and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment